Tuesday, September 29, 2015

This is Now

One of my favorite people in the Gospel is the apostle Peter.  I can identify with Peter in so many ways!  Peter was a man of faith.  He left everything he knew to follow Jesus.  Jesus said "come, follow me" and Peter didn't even hesitate!  What incredible faith!  There are moments in my life when my faith has shined like that.  A job offer 1,700 miles from friends and family at home taken in faith.  The surrender of a 17 month old child in the hospital being tested for leukemia in faith.  Surrendering positions in schools that I loved because I felt called.  God has led me through some crazy, amazing, and downright scary things but my faith has been there to guide me.  But let's be honest.  My faith doesn't always shine like that.  There are times when I doubted that it was God calling me.  There have been times when I didn't want to be called and closed my ears to His voice. 

When Jesus told Peter that he would deny him three times, Peter said "No, Lord!  Never!"  He knew how much he loved Jesus.  He had given up everything to follow him.  However, Peter did what Jesus predicted he would do.  He denied his Lord.  When Peter called out to Jesus on the water "If it's you, Lord, let me come out to you". Peter did it.  While he kept his eyes on Jesus he walked upon the waves!  When the reality of the crashing waves began to register, Peter's focus wavered and he began to sink. 

What I love most about Peter was that he was impulsive.  He trusted Jesus with all of his heart, and when it mattered most, Peter failed.  What was the response to this failure?  Love.  Jesus showed grace, mercy, and love.  Have you failed lately?  Do you wish you could turn back time and change something you said or did impulsively?  Jesus comes to us in our failure and our faith and he says "come".  Follow me.  I love this song by Casting Crowns "This is Now".  It tells Peter's story and reminds us that Jesus doesn't look back at our failures.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment