Friday, April 18, 2014

Need a "Do Over"?

Mistakes.  We all make them.  Sometimes they are small and can be erased like a misspelled word written in pencil.  Others are written on our hearts in sharpie.  They make themselves at home in our minds and live comfortably there.  Sometimes they grow and multiply like a giant mistake snowball.  Have you ever wished you could stop and go back and change something?  Rewind time and make a better decision?  I know I have wished for this many times!   Here is a passage of scripture from Mark chapter 14 that's been on my heart lately:

27 On the way, Jesus told them, “All of you will desert me. For the Scriptures say,
‘God will strike[g] the Shepherd,
    and the sheep will be scattered.’
28 But after I am raised from the dead, I will go ahead of you to Galilee and meet you there.”
29 Peter said to him, “Even if everyone else deserts you, I never will.”
30 Jesus replied, “I tell you the truth, Peter—this very night, before the rooster crows twice, you will deny three times that you even know me.”
31 “No!” Peter declared emphatically. “Even if I have to die with you, I will never deny you!” And all the others vowed the same.

When Jesus told Peter he would deny him 3 times before the rooster crowed, Peter said "never!".  He loved Jesus.  He had walked on water with him and knew in his heart who Jesus was.  And yet, what Jesus said would happen did.  Peter did deny knowing Jesus.   Not once.  Three times. 

66 Meanwhile, Peter was in the courtyard below. One of the servant girls who worked for the high priest came by 67 and noticed Peter warming himself at the fire. She looked at him closely and said, “You were one of those with Jesus of Nazareth.[m]
68 But Peter denied it. “I don’t know what you’re talking about,” he said, and he went out into the entryway. Just then, a rooster crowed.[n]
69 When the servant girl saw him standing there, she began telling the others, “This man is definitely one of them!” 70 But Peter denied it again.
A little later some of the other bystanders confronted Peter and said, “You must be one of them, because you are a Galilean.”
71 Peter swore, “A curse on me if I’m lying—I don’t know this man you’re talking about!” 72 And immediately the rooster crowed the second time.
Suddenly, Jesus’ words flashed through Peter’s mind: “Before the rooster crows twice, you will deny three times that you even know me.” And he broke down and wept.

 I wonder if Peter wished he could change that.  I wonder if he thought about going back and boldly proclaiming his love for Jesus in that moment.  I wonder if it weighed heavily on his mind and burdened his heart.   What was Jesus' response to Peter then next
time he saw him?


15 After breakfast Jesus asked Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?[e]
“Yes, Lord,” Peter replied, “you know I love you.”
“Then feed my lambs,” Jesus told him.
16 Jesus repeated the question: “Simon son of John, do you love me?”
“Yes, Lord,” Peter said, “you know
 I love you.”
“Then take care of my sheep,” Jesus said.
17 A third time he asked him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”
Peter was hurt that Jesus asked the question a third time. He said, “Lord, you know everything. You 
know that I love you.” Jesus said, “Then feed my sheep.

Three times Jesus asked Peter if he loved him.  One time for each time Peter had denied him.  He stands there calling to us in the middle of our brokenness still calling "Do you love me?"  The cross is a message of love.  A chance for a "do over".    A chance we don't deserve.  A chance offered in God's grace and mercy.  This Sunday is Easter Sunday.  Easter is my favorite holiday because 19 years ago on an Easter Sunday God woke me up and got my attention.  I was given a do-over.  That day Jesus' death and resurrection became personal.  I laid all of my poor choices and heartache at the foot of the cross.  My life has never been the same.  It's not perfect by any means.  Daily I'm thankful for that still small voice that calls out to my heart "Do you love me?"

Come join me at  River City Community Church
 this Saturday night at 5:00, or Sunday at 8,9:39, or 11.  The topic of the message is "Need a Do Over?".  Come.  Broken or not.  Just come.









2 comments:

  1. Awesome Blog Amy! Thank God for 'do overs!" He keeps on forgiving me, even though I certainly don't deserve it.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post Amy! Thank God for 'do overs'! He keeps on forgiving me, even though I certainly don't deserve it.

    ReplyDelete