Sunday, December 30, 2012

Loving This Song...and WHY

A few weeks ago I heard an interview with this artist on KLOVE.  She talked about her battles with anxiety attacks, and how there were moments when she cried out to the Lord to take them away.

More people than we realize battle anxiety.  After Ethan's birth, I suffered my first "panic attack".  I thought my throat was closing up and that I couldn't breathe.  Other "symptoms" started to appear with them:  tingling fingers, lightheadedness, racing heartbeat to name a few.  My attacks never happened while I was in the middle of a stressful situation, they happened in moments of calm.  A quiet drive, sleep, a dark movie theater were situations that would trigger one.  They were unpredictable.  Silent, paralyzing episodes that could turn a patient, rational woman into one who was not so much.  I found that as I opened up about what was happening to me, other people I knew were dealing with the same thing.  One friend and I made a promise to one another that we would call whenever needed.  Just knowing she was there was such a blessing.  Thankfully, this burden has been taken from me.  A combination of things has helped tremendously.  I doubt what works for one person would work for everyone, but here is what helped me:
1) Reducing caffeine
2) Self talk (this is in your head, this isn't real etc.)
3) Prayer (even if God isn't taking it away, talking to Him helps!)
4) Calling someone (They don't need to know you are having a panic attack.  Talking helps! (See #3)
5) Don't hide it (This gives the enemy a foothold, and adds to your fear)
6) Facing fear (making calls I didn't want to make, confronting situations I didn't want to)

I'm sure that you are noticing that medication is not on this list.  I had a prescription for these attacks.  However, in the midst of one, I wouldn't take it.  Strange, I know.  Remember I said I wasn't rational in the middle of one of these!?!

This song's lyrics remind me of how I would feel:  "How many times have I cried out God please take this?  How many times have you given me the strength to just keep breathing?  God I need you, God I need you now!"

GOD IS GOOD.  All the time.  I felt led to share this today.  If you are reading this, and are dealing with it now, you are on my heart and in my prayers.

God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment